Thursday, December 07, 2006

A legal challenge - Law interviews at Oxford

What do Tony Blair, Fidel Castro, Lenin, Gandhi, and John Buchan (the author of the Thirty Nine Steps) have in common? The answer of course is that they all studied Law (in at least two cases at Oxford).

Law at Oxford this year attracted 959 applicants, with a further 277 applying for Law with Law Studies in Europe. There will be offers made to approximately 250 students in total.

On a rather wet and blustery evening I made my way over to the College where I had been invited to sit in on some Law interviews. Unfortunately I had not been able to attend the introductory meeting and briefing session for all of the College's law candidates, which had taken place earlier in the afternoon, and had identified the format for the interview procedure, as well as explaining how the admissions process for Law operated.

I arrived slightly ahead of schedule for the interviews, and had the opportunity to make small talk to the candidate who was waiting to go in front of the Law tutors. We stayed on fairly safe (i.e. not interview-related) topics, a position made much easier when it turned out he was a Newcastle United fan.

My expectation on the venue for the interview matched up to my prejudices (see yesterday's blog) so after I was briefed by the three-person interview panel and sat at the interview table, the first candidate was brought in.

The initial questions were focused solely on information provided from the UCAS form - personal statement and reference. In every case they were trying to identify the candidate's motivation and reason for selecting Law as a degree - in the case of those applicants for the four year degree that involves a period of international study, there was also interest in what the applicant hoped to gain from the year abroad experience. These are, to my mind, fairly basic and obvious queries, which should not give an applicant too many problems, but I was surprised that there was, in some cases, a rather lacklustre response to this fairly important and central set of questions.

Having assessed a candidate's rationale for applying, the applicant was then posed a hypothetical question which had a range of moral, ethical, and ultimately legal implications. The question required no prior legal knowledge in order to answer, but would probably cause a real dilemma and problem for the applicant who thought with their heart rather than their head and gave an off-the-cuff or ill-considered respond.

The interviewers had arranged in advance which of them would lead on the question, which enabled the other two to focus on the applicant and their replies, making notes as they went. After hearing the candidate's reply the lead interviewer asked a range of supplementary questions designed to broaden the candidate's answer, and appreciate in any moral or legal dilemma there are multiple viewpoints, responsibilities and reactions to factor into a decision.

Candidates who made very firm and definite initial responses were therefore being faced with increasingly difficult positions to justify, whilst those who had taken the time to consider the wider implications before they replied, and had perhaps been more circumspect in their reply had slightly more room for manoeuvre. Whilst the candidates were stretched in making their responses, they were not in any sense belittled or humiliated for expressing their views; those that took the time to stop and evaluate the position they had talked themselves into, but then explained why they might want to reconsider their initial thoughts were encouraged to develop their ideas, and alter their views accordingly.

After an opportunity for either of the other two panel members to ask supplementary questions, the applicant was given the chance to have any of their questions answered. My only comment is that a candidate should think carefully about who they are addressing their questions to - in at least one instance this week I have seen the interviewers valiantly attempting to answer a query about University-level sports teams which probably would have been better (and more successfully) answered if it had been directed at one of the student helpers.

The interview format for Law (at least at this College) had a slightly different approach than that I had observed for the previous interviews I had witnessed this week. Rather than expect all candidates to undergo two interviews, each candidate had only one interview lasting twenty five minutes on average which each of the three Law tutors on the interview panel scoring the candidates independently on a variety of criteria that had been agreed in advance. Details of the Law selection criteria can be accessed at the Law Faculty website.

By using three interviewers, but only giving one interview, it allowed all twenty two candidates for Law at the College to be seen and considered by the same three academics, which provided a continuity and consistency in the interview panel's decisions, and would allow the three law tutors to assess the pool of applicants based upon the same evidence. After awarding the individual marks, the three tutors then discussed the candidates performance to come up with a composite score. It was at this point that the advantage of having three interviewers became apparent. In at least one case there had been very different opinions formed of a candidate, with two of the interviewers scoring at opposite ends of the scale. The third view therefore acted as a moderating influence, which drew the overall mark much more in one (in this instance, positive) direction, compared to the likely outcome if there had been two interviewers, which would probably have resulted in a middle-ranking score overall.

At the end of the process the interview panel then reviewed their thoughts on the entire field of twenty-two, before putting them in a rank order. In the case of this particular College, their intention was to identify a maximum of nine applicants which they intended to make offers to.

They were very clear in their view however that the interview was only one aspect of the overall decision process. The Law Faculty uses a variety of tools to make a judgement on which candidates are made offers; I plan to look at some of these next week. Overall however I was left feeling that a candidate had the opportunity to plead their case for admission and the jury of tutors weighed all the evidence (showing due process and diligence), before they delivered a fair and just verdict.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I never applied for Oxbridge myself, but I've always been interested in the application process. This blog is fascinating! Thank you for going to so much trouble.

Anonymous said...

As a parent of a child who heads off to Oxford today to undertake the rigours of Maths exams/ interviews etc I have found your commentaries very interesting and informative. They too have gone some way to making this an experience to look forward to rather than dread.

Anonymous said...

As a parent of a student likely to be applying next year, I am finding your blog both fascinating and really helpful. I do hope you will be seeing the Science/Engineering interview process as well and commenting on these.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a first year law student at Oxford and found your post very interesting. However, you spelt Gandhi wrong :S

Anonymous said...

I got back on friday from being subjercted to the rigours of an oxford college application process, and i would like to add to what has been said.

The questions i faced were perhaps the most difficult i have ever dealt with, but from a seemingly impossible position the interviewers' sharp minds helped tune by intitially broad arguement. It is true to say that given the constant updates from other candidates (excluding infomation about the interviews... well we weren't going to let someone else get that cherished place were we?) gave me the impression of being in an equal and stimulating intellectual environment.

The difference between my interviews and some of the other lawyers from other colleges i talked to was the lack of any of the reasonably generic questions at the start; we only had a short period of time and it was clear that my interviewer meant buisness. Additionally, i was not asked to form an argument based on the conditions of a specific statute i had been given, but on a more moral/philosophical and logical basis.

Athena said...

I'm a first year at Oxford, and seeing interviews from "the other side of the table", so to speak, is really interesting, although I'm still not sure what I did that got me a place instead of others! It's also interesting that those you spoke to didn't see otehr pallicants as competition - I did! With only two places for my subject, I foudn it hard to be friendly with my fellow applicants because they all wanted the same thing as me and we couldn't all get in :( I did make some very good friends amongst the other applicants, however, and it was good to get to Freshers' Week and meet up with them again and hear people say "I remember you!". I think that's an important piece of advice for applicants called to interview - make friends with those around you, perhaps with people doing other subjects if you're competitive like me, but don't just sit in your room hiding!

Anonymous said...

i had 2 interviews for law as well. first one went alright, nothing really tricky, more of my thoughts and opinions as well as the case that we were given. but honestly, i didnt think i was confronted with weird "oxbridge" style questions - the questions i was asked were pretty straightforward. the second interviewer was harsh on me - he pushed me and kept on asking me harder and harder questions! but i really did enjoy the 2nd interview - it did feel more of a discussion where we were exchanging views, and i was learning from the tutor as well. great experience!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

First of all congratulations for the blog. It is really useful and interesting.

I would like to apply the next year to Law at Oxford and I am researching a bite about it. However, I would like to get in touch with some ex-student or current student to talk about the interview, the colleges... I leave here my e-mail (paula.caamano.sambade@gmail.com) and if someone can agree me will be great!

Paula Caamano Sambade
UWCAD 06/07

Anonymous said...

I had my interviews for Law at Oxford this December and would like to add a little information to what has already been said by the others.

I had one subject interview at my first choice college. It lasted for approximately 35-40 minutes and, although highly challenging, it was also very interesting and mind stimulating. I did not come across any "weird" Oxbridge style questions and found my two interviewers to be very friendly, welcoming and helpful. I am not denying that the application process was indeed a stressful one, however, it was just as equally rewarding. Throughout the few days which I have spent at college, I met some amazing people and made great friends, even with those applying for the same course as me!

To those who are thinking of applying to Oxford, I would give only one piece of advice-do not allow yourselves to be scared off by the many "myths" you hear about Oxford! It is an amazing place and the experience of interviews will be one that you will never forget, regardless of what the final outcome may be.

Anonymous said...

Hi

I read this post two times.

I like it so much, please try to keep posting.

Let me introduce other material that may be good for our community.

Source: Lawyer interview questions

Best regards
Henry

John Driskell said...

I like what you guys are up also. Such smart work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it'll improve the value of my web site :)
SEO services Singapore

Unknown said...

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually was a enjoyment account it. Glance complicated to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we keep in touch?
Digital marketing Singapore

Unknown said...

I cling on to listening to the news bulletin lecture about getting free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the finest site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i acquire some?
math tuition

HowardGrace said...

We offer you the funds you need quickly and without excessive demands. As your money lender, we understand your needs and charge low, competitive interest rates. Our fast loan approval process is also stress-free and easy whereby you can receive your loan on the same day of your application with us at any of our outlets. Therefore, contact us now if you are in need of quick cash.
easy cash

REBBCADAVids said...

I wanted to post you a very little observation in order to give thanks as before for these magnificent solutions you have contributed here. antarctica cruise

kristinahojholt said...

I want to express my appreciation for your generosity giving support to men and women that really need help on that idea. Your special dedication to passing the solution throughout appears to be quite significant and has specifically encouraged regular people just like me to attain their dreams. Your invaluable information implies much a person like me and extremely more to my colleagues. Regards; from everyone of us. marketing page triggers

BobbyArcher said...

I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation that's at the other posts. Appreciate your sharing this greatest doc. [url=https://mumbai.kidzania.com/en-in/]kids play zone[/url]

kristinahojholt said...

I'm also writing to make you know what a notable experience my daughter went through studying your webblog. She discovered such a lot of issues, which include what it is like to possess a marvelous giving mindset to let others without problems gain knowledge of a number of problematic matters. You truly exceeded my expected results. Thank you for delivering these warm and helpful, safe, revealing and also fun tips about that topic to Emily.
top web developers

kristinahojholt said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is required to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very web savvy so I'm not 100% positive. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
root canal treatment singapore

JuanLeclair said...

I in addition to my guys ended up reviewing the nice recommendations located on your web site while instantly came up with a terrible suspicion I had not thanked the web site owner for those tips. These people had been totally happy to read them and have in effect very much been taking advantage of these things. Many thanks for truly being very thoughtful and also for choosing such excellent resources most people are really wanting to be informed on. Our sincere apologies for not saying thanks to sooner.
auto insurance

Vincent Maxin said...

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will often come back later in life. I want to encourage you continue your great work, have a nice evening!
Commercial Photography in Singapore

DruZeta Mitar said...

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post is just spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.
GROW YOUR BUSINESS

FreddyKot said...

I wish to point out my affection for your kind-heartedness giving support to women who need assistance with this subject matter. Your real commitment to getting the message across appeared to be rather practical and have surely permitted workers just like me to get to their goals. Your entire useful facts signifies a lot to me and far more to my peers. Best wishes; from everyone of us.
find a web designer near you

kristinahojholt said...

I'm really enjoying the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog visitors have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any advice to help fix this problem?
get your business listed in search engines

Sienna Popies said...

I must show my love for your kindness supporting those people that actually need help on this one concern. Your very own commitment to getting the message across appeared to be remarkably useful and have usually empowered most people like me to attain their dreams. Your personal insightful report implies much to me and much more to my peers. Many thanks; from all of us.
shortlist SEO agency in Singapore

DruZeta Mitar said...

Thank you so much for giving everyone an extremely special chance to read in detail from this web site. It's always very sweet and also packed with fun for me personally and my office co-workers to visit your blog no less than thrice in one week to read the latest issues you have. Not to mention, I am actually contented with the wonderful secrets you give. Some 3 areas in this post are easily the most effective we've ever had.
steps to do SEO in Singapore

kristinahojholt said...

I just wanted to send a small word in order to thank you for those lovely tips you are posting on this site. My time intensive internet search has finally been paid with useful ideas to exchange with my classmates and friends. I 'd declare that most of us visitors are undeniably lucky to be in a fabulous community with many awesome people with insightful methods. I feel very much fortunate to have encountered your entire website page and look forward to so many more awesome times reading here. Thanks a lot once again for everything.
Singapore Hotel Packages

Rick Cottle said...

I have to show some thanks to the writer just for rescuing me from this condition. Just after browsing throughout the world-wide-web and finding methods that were not powerful, I thought my life was done. Being alive devoid of the approaches to the problems you have resolved by means of the posting is a serious case, and ones which could have in a wrong way damaged my entire career if I had not come across your web blog. Your personal capability and kindness in maneuvering the whole thing was helpful. I don't know what I would've done if I had not discovered such a stuff like this. I can at this moment relish my future. Thanks so much for your skilled and results-oriented help. I won't hesitate to refer the website to any person who needs to have guide about this area.
seo jobs in singapore

BraxtonBayer said...

I have to point out my affection for your kind-heartedness giving support to men and women who absolutely need help with that situation. Your special dedication to getting the message throughout became really valuable and have constantly permitted associates just like me to achieve their targets. Your informative advice denotes a whole lot a person like me and much more to my peers. Thanks a ton; from everyone of us.
interior styling singapore